Rachel tagged me for a Christmas meme. I’ll get to that in a bit. Instead of spending my time tonight packing, I watched Clash of the Choirs. At the risk of losing some more friends with this (apparently I’m really good at that lately)…I watched it for ex-Mrs. Jessica Simpson.
Sure, Nick is pretty on the eyes, but I knew he was singing one of his songs with the choir he’s directing. One of the songs I’ve seen performed live. It kinda brought me to tears, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t due to his vocal stylings. For my sister’s last birthday, I gave her tickets to one of his poorly-attended concerts. Pretty unremarkable as far as live music goes, the piece that still tugs at my heart was how ecstatic-over-the-top-excited my sister was just to be there (this is the 29-year-old, not the 13-year-old). I’m not embarrassed to say I enjoyed the concert, because without even realizing it, she gave me the best gift by being happier at that moment than I’ve ever seen her. A different kind of the happy that made me cry at her wedding and nothing close to the despair I felt while sitting on a plane, waiting to meet her son, knowing I wasn’t there for her when she was scared.
Enough with the sappy (I promise it won’t happen again for a while) – on to the meme!
The rules are as follows:
- Link to the person who tagged you
- Tag three random people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs
- Let each person know they’ve been tagged by leaving a comment on their blogs
Here are the questions (feel free to substitute the winter holiday of your choice & to add questions):
- What was the best Christmas present you got as a kid? Please. I’m of the generation where my parents waited in some crazy-ass line to purchase a Cabbage Patch Kid from Venture. (A bit of info about me: I have a Cindy-Crawford-esque beauty mark). My dad gave me one with a dimple colored in with a sharpie. The sad thing is that I actually believed it was a factory-defect until about six months ago.
- What was the best Christmas present you got as an adult? Brown Delux lip gloss. I love makeup, right, but the reason this is particularly special is because my then 11-year-old sister picked it out for me. Sure, she has a gifted sense of color, but as I was unwrapping it it, my mom whispered that she kept the receipt because she thought the color was hideous…even though it is the exact color I would select myself.
- What’s your favorite Christmas carol? Carol of the Bells – we sang it every year for concert choir in high school
- How long can you stand to listen to Christmas music before you break? Past Christmas itself as long as it isn’t Anne Murray or Amy Grant
- How many Christmas albums do you own? I don’t even know where that box is right now
- Did you ever go caroling as a kid? Every year with my church choir.
- Would you willingly eat fruitcake? Blech.
- Do you own any Christmas sweaters? No.
- Do you own any Christmas jewelry? What? Good god, no.
- Do you wear them? n/a
- Did your family have any Christmas traditions? Like what? Christmas dinner is from White Castle
- Do you buy Christmas presents for your pets? Don’t have pets, but I may or may not have bought something for the family dog this year
- What’s your favorite Christmas cookie? Divinity – wait, is that considered candy?
- What’s your favorite Christmas candy? My mother’s peanut butter fudge – maybe that’s considered a cookie. Whatever.
- What’s your stocking look like? Red fake furry one with my name painted on it.
- How do you feel about the “Steal from Your Neighbor” Christmas present game (the one where people pick gifts from a pile, but others get to steal it)? Heard of this, but I don’t remember ever playing it.
- What is the oldest ornament on your tree? Please – like any of that is unpacked.
- Real or artificial? Artificial.
- How do you feel about Christmas letters? Why is it necessary to hear how you are overburdening your children with needless activities?
- Do you have Christmas decorations or lights outside your house? What are they? Nope.
- How far would you drive to see Christmas lights? A couple of hours. I love a good road trip.
- Are you a fan of tasteful or tacky? Both. I’m bipolar that way.
- Do you have any Christmas collections? Not much of a collector.
ETA: My sister is officially over him, now. Thank goodness for the vestigue of sanity left in her.